Packing for a vacation can be the ultimate challenge. While over packing our suitcases with various outfits for each activity and essentials like bug spray or a book for the beach, we often overlook the most important item in our suitcase: our shoes. Wearing the wrong shoes while traveling can ruin any vacation, and it’s important to spend time looking for a decent pair of travel shoes that will go the distance. Whether you are walking your way through Europe or climbing the Great Wall of China, you’ll need a pair of shoes that keep you going throughout your trip. To help you find the best travel shoes on the market right now, we’ve gone through and compared all the top travel shoes for women and men and rated them to come up with the ten pairs that you see below. And, we’ve done some mini reviews of our favorites further down the page.
crocs Women's Walu Canvas Loafer
Easy Spirit Women's Traveltime Clog
KEEN Women's Presidio Shoe
Clarks Women's Haley Stork Loafer
Merrell Women's Polarand Rove Moc Waterproof Winter Slip-On Shoe
crocs Men's Santa Cruz Clean Cut Slip-On Loafer
Skechers Sport Men's Equalizer Persistent Slip-On Sneaker
Rockport Men's We are Rockin Chranson Walking Shoe
KEEN Men's Austin Shoe
Merrell Men's Encore Gust Slip-On Shoe
Here are some tips to remember when you shop for travel shoes:
1) Fit: Make sure they fit well. This may seem like a no-brainer, but if you plan on walking a lot during your vacation, sacrificing comfort for style will help you make the most of your travels. Shoes that fit well around your toes and ankle will prevent you from getting blisters, so you can fully explore your destination. Try your shoes on in the store to make sure they don’t rub uncomfortably on your feet.
2) Traction: If you will be doing any hiking or climbing, look for shoes with decent traction. While shoes like Keds or Converse are great for walking long distances in cities, they won’t last as long during a hike in the mountains. Plan ahead for the types of activities you will be doing and make sure to invest in some quality hiking boots if you are taking an adventurous vacation.
3) Support: Walking long distances or across uneven terrain will wear on your feet. In order to have the energy and stamina to explore a city or hiking trail, your shoes will need to have solid support. Look for shoes with a noticeable arch support. Some shoes that are known for having good arches are Clarks, Aerosoles, or Birkenstocks.
4) Every foot is different: While one pair of shoes may work great for a friend, your foot might be wider or shaped differently. As we age, wearing improper shoes can cause bunions, neuromas, or problems from prior injuries, and you may need to find shoes to accommodate these common foot problems. If you have wide feet, find shoes that give you more room. If you have flat feet, find shoes that give you more support. Most importantly, don’t force a pair of shoes to work for you.
5) Versatility: The ideal travel shoes will work with any outfit rather than just being a typical walking shoe. Rather than weighing down your suitcase with multiple pairs of shoes, make sure you choose a pair of shoes that can be worn day or night. While you may need to being a nicer pair of shoes if you plan on going somewhere nice, choosing a flexible pair of shoes as your main travel shoe will help you pack light.
6) Keep your destination in mind: It can be easy to shop for shoes based on the climate you live in, but remember to keep your destination in mind. If you’ll be traveling in a cold climate, a pair of boots might be more sensible than canvas shoes like Toms. If you’ll be traveling in water and land, perhaps a pair of Tevas or Chacos would suit you better. Adapting to the climate where you are traveling will ensure that you not only make the most of your vacation by embracing the culture, but also ensure your feet are properly protected and prepared.
7) Try them on as you would wear them: When you go to the store to try on your shoes, plan on going at the end of the day. Our feet naturally swell throughout the day, so trying shoes on when your feet are slightly swollen will make sure your shoes aren’t too tight later. Also, if you will be wearing socks or orthopedics with your new travel shoes, you should try everything on at once before making a purchase.
Below you will find mini reviews of our favorites when it comes to the top travel shoes for men and women.
Your favorite summer loafers are here! Crocs Walu Loafer lends a very nautical feel to your summer wardrobe. Made of canvas and featuring a rubber sole, these shoes will quickly become a staple in your closet. The insole is removable, allowing you to customize the comfort of the loafer. With exceptional breathability, you can wear them even on the hottest days. That’s what makes these such great women’s travel shoes for the beach. The Walu Loafer offers two elastic panels to ensure your foot can move comfortably while the shoes remain in place on your foot. These shoes are so lightweight and comfortable, you may forget that they are on your feet!View on Amazon
This black clog is made out of both leather and fabric to offer you the most comfort possible. These shoes are slip on which makes them an excellent choice for quickly putting them on and taking them off. This clog is breathable to help keep you comfortable while it is designed to absorb shock with every step that you take. This design makes it an excellent choice for long days of walking while allowing you to remain both stylish and comfortable. The Easy Spirit brand is well known for offering excellent arch support for additional support and comfort. Many people enjoy wearing these for going through security checkpoints in places like airports for the ease of taking them off. That’s why we think that these are the best women’s travel shoes for flying right now.View on Amazon
This type of shoe is excellent for those who are involved with activities that call for the shoes to be broken in very quickly. These shoes are designed to feel like they are broken in immediately upon purchase, which makes them a great women’s shoe for travel. The lining is made of a moisture wicking material that has the purpose of keeping your feet dry, warm and comfortable. The appearance is very stylish while being practical for all purposes and needs. These are also very popular for the arch support that is included which is important and useful for those that are extremely active. They are also popular for those people who do a lot of traveling and often struggle with sore feet before the end of the day. You can buy these in several different color options and they look great with jeans and slacks, which makes them one of the best women’s travel shoes for Europe.View on Amazon
As with all Crocs, these shoes offer many benefits and features. These shoes were designed to be very soft and comfortable. They are lightweight which is important for wearing these all day while being comfortable and helping to resist soar feet. They also offer a superior grip which helps prevent sliding. A very popular feature of these Crocs is that they are odor-resistant which is important for those who are going to be doing a lot of running around. These shoes are popular for those who are involved in many different activities such as hiking, boating and other physically busy activities. The physical appearance is very popular due to the fact that these shoes are very versatile.View on Amazon
The Skechers Sport Men’s Equalizer Persistent Slip-On Sneaker is a perfect, light-weight sport sneaker for casual wear. It’s stylish like all of the Skechers brand shoes are, while also providing a soft, cushioned memory foam sole to soothe aching feet. These sporty sneakers come in black, black and white, charcoal grey, grey, navy and grey and in navy blue, while the materials are faux leather and mesh fabric with a stitching and overlay design to add style. The Skechers Sport Men’s Equalizer Persistent Slip-On Sneaker is best for use on walks, workouts at the gym, or for everyday footwear. They also make a great travel shoe for men. And, they are excellent for men who need travel shoes with arch support, a light weight shoe and something that is shock absorbent from their shoe wear.View on Amazon
The Rockport Men’s We are Rockin Chranson Walking Shoe is amazingly comfortable whether you are taking a casual stroll or walking a mile. The latex footbed of this leather with suede and synthetic upper cushions your foot and the mesh lining offers breathability and prohibits moisture inside the shoe. This pair of shoes also comes with the newest ADIPRENE technology from Adidas that provides shock absorption and cushions your heel. The rubber outsole allows you to have traction on a variety of surfaces. With the comfort and style provided by the Rockport Men’s We are Rockin Chranson Walking Shoe, you will never need another men’s lace-up! We really think that this is one of the best men’s casual shoes for travel as well since it looks great with slacks and jeans.View on Amazon
Wearing the wrong pair of shoes could ruin your trip. Instead of wishing you had found a more comfortable pair of shoes or something more appropriate for the weather, take the time to try on each of your options and keep your destination in mind. Follow the tips and reviews on this page, and your new travel shoes will take you far.